Phillip has spent over 28 years focusing on the area of investigations in Commonwealth, State and Territory Governments both as a consultant and a public servant. Phillip has extensive experience in administrative investigations of alleged breaches of the Australian Public Service (APS) Code of Conduct and requests for reviews of Employment Related Action on behalf of several Australian Government Agencies.
He is a former Federal Agent and Detective Sergeant from the Australian Federal Police (AFP) where he investigated complex and sensitive people management cases into suspected breaches of the Australian Public Service (APS) Code of Conduct. Phillip is also a former fraud and corruption investigator for a big four international accounting firm.
Phillip has worked in a number of senior corporate management positions within the Australian Federal Police, the Anti-Corruption Commission, the Australian Taxation Office, the Department of Health and Ageing and the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations. Phillip has also worked across a wide range of public sector environments in a senior consulting role with a number of international consultancy firms.
Phillip’s corporate management responsibilities include:
- Administrative investigations
- Anti-corruption prevention and control
- Anti-fraud prevention and control
- Fraud Control Plans
- Audits and reviews
- Change Management
- Code of conduct investigations
- Criminal Investigations
- Public interest whistleblowing
- Risk management
- Workplace Health & Safety
Consulting and Work Expertise
- Conducted multiple highly sensitive and complex investigations into breaches of Australian Government Agencies’ policies and Codes of Conduct. This included gathering evidence, obtaining signed witness statements and formally interviewing witnesses. Also managed computer forensics to gather evidence contained within mobile phones and electronic notebooks. Evidence regarding each allegation was successfully collected to make determinations to substantiate breaches of the codes;
- Developed and implemented misconduct policies for Australian Government Departments;
- Re-engineered and embedded administrative investigation policies and processes for Australian Government Departments
- Developed and implemented whistle-blower policies for Australian Government Departments.
- Phillip is a former Assurance Manager with Origin Energy where he was responsible for managing the assessment of the risk environment across the entire organisation and identifying emerging risk trends and issues.
- In his role as a Regulatory Specialist for the National Offshore Petroleum Safety Authority (NOPSA) and the National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Authority (NOPSEMA) had made risk management related judgements that required studies on the appropriateness of the Oil & Gas Industry submissions of safety cases in accordance with legislative requirements.
- He has extensive experience in the risk management software ‘Bowtie’ development and review. He developed and reviewed bowtie diagrams to assess the relationships between hazards, outcomes, control measures and the potential Major Accident Event (MAE). He is also trained in Bowtie risk management. Phillip has been a guest speaker and facilitator at the Bowtie ‘User Group’ forums in Singapore and Australia.
- As a Senior Manager and a risk management practitioner for Ernst & Young, Phillip was the Engagement Manager for several risk management public and private sector projects involving introducing an enterprise risk management process; reviewing the effectiveness and appropriateness of internal controls; risk culture assessments; fraud control assessments; mapping risk connections; risk management workshops and risk profiling.
- He was a founder and Director of his own consultancy company where he provided environmental risk management services to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA) relating to a whole-of-government approach to management of potential environmental impacts of major shipping accidents within the marine park.
- Finally, Phillip has also undertaken risk management consultancy assignments on behalf of USAID in Jordan where he developed the National Customs Risk Management Strategy and published a cross border crime strategy for the Royal Jordanian Customs Service.
Workplace Health & Safety
In his recent role as Manager HSE Assurance – Origin Energy, Phillip provided advice and leadership across a wide range of WH&S elements, including:
- The provision of leadership and strategic advice across Origin on assurance processes for HSE and Regulatory Compliance systems and performance.
- Developed, delivered and implemented the corporate HSE Assurance Plan, activity and systems for the Financial Years 2014, 2015 and 2016 to the HSE Committee and the Board of Directors.
Coordinated the scoping, planning and fieldwork for independent HSE Assurance audit activity.
- Led independent HSE Assurance audits across all of Origin’s Divisions/Business Unit Assets’ in Australia and overseas.
- Developed and implemented a structured assurance process for assessing compliance with HSE regulatory requirements.
- Worked independently to successfully deliver the new HSE audit program at multiple sites across Origin Energy’s Business Units (Upstream; Energy Markets; LNG and International Development). by
- Master of Arts (Compliance).
- Advanced Diploma of Government (Fraud Control Management).
- Diploma of Government (Fraud Control Investigations).
- Certificate IV Investigations (Code of Conduct).
- Graduate Diploma of Public Administration (Policing).
- Associate Member of the Certified Fraud Examiners.
- Graduate of the Police Management Development Program – Australian Institute of Police Management.
- Graduate Australian Federal Police Detective Training (Awarded the title of Detective).