Gary is a highly experienced consultant with extensive public sector review and reform, stakeholder consultation, change management and human resource management expertise. He has worked in both Federal and State public sector environments, and has undertaken assignments with significant complexity and risk. Prior to joining HBA Consulting in 2010, Gary had more than 4 years’ experience with a ‘big 4’ international consulting firm, as an Associate Director in their Government Advisory group.
- Played a lead role in the national review of the complex recruitment arrangements for all three Armed Forces, and the development of recommendations for improvement.
- Provided independent quality and project assurance and independent reporting over a large scale business review and improvement program at the University of Southern Queensland. Requiring extensive stakeholder engagement and consultation with staff in both the academic and administrative workforces.
- Overall project leadership for the design, implementation and reporting on review across the ACT community sector. This involved more than 140 organisations, and incorporated analysis of employment and funding arrangements, and recommendations for improvement.
- Undertook reviews of the House of Representatives Committee Office arrangements, and the structure and resourcing of the Parliamentary Library. The House of Representatives report was tabled in the House when completed.
- reviewed the structures, functions and resourcing for the House of Representatives Committee Office and the Parliamentary Library.
- Reviewed the alignment of structures and functions within the Office of the Legislative Assembly (ACT Parliament’s support services) to ensure alignment between legislative objectives and organisational operations and resourcing. Subsequently led a review in 2015 to identify potential impacts to structures and resourcing associated with the significant increase to Members from 2016.
- Led a detailed review and advised on a significant organisational restructuring process for a mid-sized APS Agency involving carefully targeted redundancies and redeployment processes.
Industrial Relations Advice
- Advice and assistance to a large number of Federal and privates sector organisations in relation to industrial relations strategy and implementation, including enterprise bargaining and employment arrangements.
- Training for bargaining representatives (including management, staff and union bargaining representatives) following the issuing of the Notice of Employee Representational Rights (NERR) and just prior to the commencement of bargaining, to ensure that participants understand the bargaining process and related obligations of participants in the process.
Business Process Change and Implementation
- Led significant changes management processes for public sector organisations.
- Facilitated sensitive and complex staff consultative processes to assist with the implementation of workplace change.
- Led business process mapping, review and improvement assignment across the ACT and Federal public sectors.
- extensive experience in conducting workplace investigations in both APS and ACT Government agencies
During the past 6 months, Gary has undertaken assignments with:
- ACT Justice and Community Safety Directorate
- Office of the Legislative Assembly (ACT Parliament)
- ACT Chief Ministers, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate
Education / accreditation
- Bachelor of Education
- Master of Business Administration
- Prince 2 Project Management (Foundations)
Gary Champion – Principal HBA Consulting PL
Phone No. : 02 62474490 , 0419401250