Chris Duffy Senior Consultant
Chris has over 35 years' experience working in the Commonwealth Public Service on a range of policy, program management and operational challenges with a strong focus on ensuring that the HR function makes an effective contribution to the achievement of corporate objectives. He is an experienced HR/IR consultant who works closely with his clients to help them achieve informed and strategic business decisions.
Chris has a strong track record in the design, review and implementation of the key HR and IR building blocks including:
- Structural reviews,
- governance arrangements,
- business processes,
- policy development,
- negotiation of conditions of service, and,
- workforce design
His extensive experience in managing small teams in different operational environments within the Australian Public Service including HR, security and broadcasting, means that he brings a range of practical insights and workable approaches to his consulting advice to clients. He has worked with many Federal and State government departments and agencies as well as with organisations in the private and community sectors
- reviewed the specialised workforce of a small Commonwealth agency to align pay rates and work levels with wider APS rates and work responsibilities
- undertook a review of the pay and conditions for a 'not for profit' community organisation that lead to the development and implementation of a remuneration package that was competitive with the market place
- Reviewed management structure of a community organisation to better align the structure with the achievement of the organisation's strategic objectives
- Coordinated and managed the amalgamation of HR area from multiple departments.
Industrial Relations Advice
worked closely with a number of Commonwealth agencies in reviewing agency specific conditions as the part of the agency's enterprise bargaining processes
Business Process Change and Implementation
- Managed the implementation of a new payroll/HR system across four small Commonwealth departments.
- HR policy review to align with changing business needs and workforce amalgamations.
- process reviews for government agencies to ensure they deliver their legislative obligations, manage risks and identify potential efficiency improvements and cost savings
- extensive experience in conducting workplace investigations and in chairing appeal panels in ACT Government agencies
- development and implementation of a range of HR related policies including the development HR strategic plans of agency enterprise bargaining strategies
During the past 6 months, Chris has undertaken assignments with:
- ACT Justice and Community Safety Directorate
- Australian National Maritime Museum
- Department of Immigration and Border Protection
- Air Service Australia
- Geoscience Australia
- ACT Road User Services
Education / accreditation
Graduate Certificate in Public Sector Management (Griffith University)